Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Team MudCup's Adventures in Rhode Island

We woke up to a sunny, if breezy Monday morning.  Most people would have been enjoying lounging in bed - but we had an agenda.  And it involved coffee and hot cocoa.  And in all fairness - we had slept in trying to finish drying out from our foray into the deluge that was the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew.  We slowly pulled ourselves together - gathered our belongs - and headed off in search for the elixir that soothes the morning beasts.

A quick stop at Dunkin, with hot beverages and muffins in hand - we plotted our first three destinations.  All were within a few miles radius of our hotel, so we wanted to pick those up first.  This will be important in a few minutes - so stick with me.  Now I had lived in Rhode Island 30 years ago so I had a distant memory of street names.  The problem was - back then I mostly took RIPTA (the bus system that can take you EVERYWHERE in Rhode Island.)  In fact - I didn't learn to drive until I was a junior in college and got my license in this fine state - where parallel parking is done on the left side of the street (much easier to do in case you are wondering.)

So as we ambled along some of the roads - they turned a dusty page in my memory.  But as most of northern RI shares all their street names - it wasn't much help.  As you can image - things have CHANGED.  But the GPS plotted our route and I blindly followed along.  Making a hasty left turn into a cemetery for personal pursuits of debauchery.  Once that had been laid to rest - we meandered along to our first box.  We found said box without issue - as thankfully the cemetery was not huge and we had picked the correct entrance on our first pass.  This is not always true.

After dutifully inking up, doing some box maintenance and replacing it in its hidey hole - we again left a token of our appreciation for the locals to find.  One thing we try to do - as we crash out of state locations - is try to leave something for the locals to find after we're safely back over the border in Maine.  Many times we also litter our way from box to box leaving HHs.  This was our mission in Rhode Island as well.  So another token was plotted and left for the northern RI boxers (though with the state only being 50 miles from tip to toe - those in the south will probably find them too.) and we continued on our journey to our next box.

This one gave us a bit of a chase.  Those little city pocket parks are sometimes hard to find - even if you live in the same town.  But the clue writer gave appropriate markers - and after a much required u-turn, we pulled in a started our quest. Like slayers of dragons we hopped sure footed onto the sidewalk and read the clues.  Now my toes were beginning to get chilly - I had only donned my slippers on the way out of the hotel.  Teacup often just wears her beloved "crocs" while out boxing - I thought I'd try to pull it off in my fleece lined slippers.  But not having a back to protect my heel - my tootsies were getting chilly.

Now here's is where I insert my 'ah duh' moment of our trip.  As we sat at Dunkin earlier - pulling clues together - Miss Teacup questioned me "Didn't we have more clue sheets?"  "Why yes we did, a red folder full of inky instructions to veritable gems hidden all over the state, why do you ask?"  "Where are they?"  "I don't know? I wonder if some miscreant took them as we slumbered in our hotel?"  "Well that's no fun.  I guess we'll have to do with your smaller list of inky quests."

So as Teacup stood at our latest quest - I thought I ought to at least put on some socks.  So I jumped out of the car and popped the trunk.  Not only was I missing my socks (I actually had some in my duffel bag as back-up) but I was missing my sneakers as well.  It was then quickly determined that in our haste to seek our morning elixirs - I had left behind the bag that had not only my 2 pairs of sneakers - but also the folder of clues.  So let me state - I apologize for thinking anyone in Rhode Island would sneak into my car for sheets of inky quests - but they were good ones - and in my early morning fog - it was the best answer I could come up with... next time we travel, Mom will check to make sure I don't leave anything behind - I promise.

This is where said GPS holds magical information - like the address of the hotel we had just left an hour earlier.  Pulled up from our 'recently visited destinations' list - we traveled down the roads we just came, back to the hotel to pick up my stuff.  Magically - earlier mentioned clues were safely tucked in the bag with my sneakers.  Many thanks to the hotel staff for being prompt at cleaning our room and having them at the front desk on our return visit.  So with a quick "thanks Mom, I'll try to look better next time," we plotted our third address.

Easily found, we pulled up next to a boxers front yard and pulled our stuff together.  Since we now had quests a plenty - we needed to up our game plan.  So we decided to divide and conquer.  Head south, pick up 3 possible quests - cross east over the bridge to the land of splendor and excess (also referred to as Newport by many) and then plot our way due north - back into the city for more inky goodness.  With the course set - we headed south.

Down to the lands of greener pastures, open spaces and hopefully missing the CT border.  But our destination seemed to be an exit in CT... with a quick look at our gazetteer - I quickly axed the notion of a CT visit today and took the last known exit in Rhode Island.  Happily - this did take us to a much sought our bear in the woods.  With the sun on our backs and not a moment to lose - we slayed that bear and returned him to his haunt.  After a required rest - and another drop off - this time for those southern boxers (and more than likely some very close by CT boxers) we headed back north.  There was sure to be a flat tire in our future.  But alas - we came up empty.

We ventured further, finally heading due east.  Rolling hills (not a one) and meandering corners (lots) had us ducking in and doing another quick u-turn.  It would seem - unknown by me - that we had a sassy little Delaware Chick along for the ride.  It would seem - she was in search of a dashing red head of feathered nature during this trip.  Well - we didn't think we'd find such a match amongst the tall ships and marbled features of Newport - so we set out for a more like location to host a meet-and-greet.  After making sure our sassy passenger had found a satisfactory place to roost... we continued into Newport.

So glad it was after Labor Day weekend... because the traffic was starting to pick up.  But first, up and over the bridge.  Then up and over another bridge (the toll taker was very sweet at mentioning that he had just returned from visiting Maine the previous weekend - Teacup kindly invited him back) and down into Newport.  A quick turn and we had to divert.  Dead people call to us.  We feel the magnetic pull of the tombstones.  They speak to us in their own way and we find comfort in visiting with them.  Evidently so did a bunch of kids on bikes as they were making passes back and forth and we had to keep a sharp eye to avoid picking up and extra wheel along our journey.  Our tire guy doesn't like it when we find a spare!

We drove - okay crawled - tortoise slow - down the main drag of Newport Harbor.  Fall shoppers were everywhere loading up their credit cards with highly (un)necessary purchases and sipping mint juleps on restaurant balconies while us lowly folk tried to make our way out of traffic.  Amazingly enough - a kind driver from MA (I know, huh?) let us merge in front of him so we could take a drive along clubhouse row (Bellevue Avenue for those not in the know.)  Now when I visited the mansions more that a few hundred fortnights ago - you could park in front of the houses you toured - it would seem now that they are are a hotly pursued destination best reached by trolley service.  And had we been lingering long enough to do such - we might have - but we continued along.  We took the road to one section of the Cliff Walk - and quickly thought better of it.  Love those tight u-turns with everyone piled up waiting to do the same dance steps we had just done.  And other than that missed stop sign - we start to find our wait out of Newport.

The one way streets would be a slight hassle - but we finally made it out - tail between our tires and pointed the GPS north bound to Seekonk.  We were heading in the right direction - with thoughts of finding something new and unique to eat.  Do you have any idea how many Subway and McD's are around when you are NOT looking for them?  They are freaking everywhere.  Alas - somehow along the way - I missed a much needed exit and we ended up heading to Fall River.  Now as much as I enjoy Fall River in the springtime... a fall trip there was just not in our plans.  And the added suggestion that Cape Cod was just a hop-skip-and a jump further did not enlighten my mood.  I was beginning to get a headache, I needed a bathroom and I was getting hungry (Reason number one why we usually start our day with a big breakfast - because by the time we realize we've missed lunch - it's dinner time!)  The coffee and muffin from 7am was just not cutting it any longer.

So after a quick deliberation, and Teacup's ever so slight nod of approval - we opted to cut out Seekonk and a return trip to Providence and chart homeward instead.  Once we managed to get northbound - or at least heading towards Boston, we pulled off for a comfort stop - mind you the gas we picked up and the liquid we left behind were only two things required to make us truly happy.  We did concede to snacks to tie us over to 'real' food... and set forth north once again.  When signs sounded hopeful - we pulled off - only to find the closest thing to real was Wendy's.  I don't mind Wendy's and I love their Strawberry lemonade... so it filled the requirements with burgers and fries - not healthy Bean options - but when in Taunton...

Back heading north and the traffic was picking up.  Well getting busier - because we were actually slowing down not going faster.  And at times we were at a dead stop.  Probably a good choice to head home when we did - as it would seem it was going to take us much longer than anticipated.  We continued along - finally making it to the tunnel.  Now heading south - we were able to zip through with relative ease.  It was a little busier - and thus a LOT more stressful for Teacup heading home.  The continual honking folks insisted on doing had her almost out of her skin by the time we reached the end.  But we made it - and then my GPS went tip-top crazy.  It wanted us to take Route One home.

While yes - Route One is a lovely Sunday drive on a slow day in December - I can only describe it as a choice of insanity on a sunny fall day in October.  Thankfully I took my sanity pills earlier (Smartfood popcorn in case you were wondering) and stayed on I-93 until it ran out.  Or MA decided to close it.  But now everyone wanted to be on I-95.  And when I say everyone - I mean everyone.  Most of whom were less than patient about it... but I stuck to the back side of the ambulance in front of us - just in case their services were needed prior to getting through the mess.

Not sure what had been happening north of Boston over the weekend (did Boston evacuate due to Matthew???) because EVERYONE was heading south into the city.  And those lanes were bumper-to-bumper all the way to the NH/Maine border.  We did pull off in NH - as Teacup had to meet up with a whole fleet of grey haired stateswomen for some directions on fall traveling.  But nothing can make a couple girls happier than when we have to pay that $3 toll to return home once again.  Making it home by 6pm had our families concerned that we were not feeling up to par.  But it did feel good to be home.  After dropping Teacup at home, I pulled into my driveway.  Grabbed a few things and had to laugh.  There in the back seat were Teacup's beloved crocs.  Upside - she can walk to my house from hers without the need of the GPS to retrieve them.

So while we enjoyed our couple days over the border - we were glad to be home once again.  Next stop - we are heading due northeast.  Let's see if a trip inside the state can rack up more miles than one outside of Maine (464 miles if you are curious.)  But for now... I'm kicking my feet up and reading the rest of my book.  Another vacation trip success story complete.

No comments: